Tuesday, June 16, 2009

She teachers vs. He teachers

We had a little mishap at swim lessons today. They messed up grouping the kiddos yesterday (a "screamer" in the "swimmer" group, etc.). So today they announced that they had rearranged the groups and assigned new teachers to some of the children. Mariana happened to be one of them, and she was assigned to a male teacher ("he teacher") instead of a female teacher ("she teacher") like yesterday. She burst into tears, ran to me, and refused to get in the water. Argh.

So after sitting through 1/2 the lesson trying to talk her into joining, I went to talk with the lady in charge of the teacher assignments. She reassigned Mariana to a she teacher and Mariana happily joined in the lesson.

I had several conversations with her about this after the lesson and finally got to the bottom of the issue! At the end of one conversation, she blurted out, "I like she teachers, but he teachers are scary because they are naked."

HA! I burst out laughing. The men in her life (Daddy, Pawpaw, Lito) do not go without shirts! She was weirded out by the fact that the male teachers were half naked! Good for her! Once she told me that, I didn't feel so bad requesting a new assignment! I think that is a great reason to want a she teacher!

3 comments:

Blair said...

LOL! That's a great reason, Mariana!

Hinckley said...

That's hilarious! If only we would all demand modesty like she did!

Mary said...

Good job, Mariana!